Jan 13, 2016- South Korea’s president has urged China to help build the strongest possible sanctions in response to North Korea’s recent nuclear test claim.
Park Geun-hye also warned of possible further action by North Korea, including “cyber terrorism”.
Ms Park said South Korea would also continue its controversial propaganda broadcasts over the border.
Pyongyang says it carried out a hydrogen bomb test last week, but the claim has not yet been confirmed.
Analysts say the blast – which was detected as an earthquake – may have been a test of a weaker atomic weapon. If so it would be the North’s fourth nuclear test.
The UN is already working on new sanctions against the country.
In an annual press conference, Ms Park said the international community’s response “must differ from the past”, without giving details, and that China’s help was crucial.
She stressed China’s past condemnations of North Korea’s military nuclear programme but added: “I am certain that China is very well aware if such a strong will isn’t followed by necessary steps, we will not be able to stop the North’s fifth and sixth nuclear tests and we cannot guarantee true peace and stability on the Korean peninsula.”
“I believe the Chinese government will not allow the situation on the Korean peninsula to deteriorate further.”
China, North Korea’s closest ally, has repeatedly condemned the nuclear tests but is often accused of doing little to stop them.